Thursday, June 13, 2013

Timeline of Recovery from A Trimalleolar Ankle Fracture



When I broke my left ankle in three places last January, I did plenty of internet research. Like all good nerds, when faced with a new and frightening situation my default mode is to gather information. I found plenty of excellent information, particularly from the American College of Orthopedic Surgeons. But what I couldn’t find, and rather desperately wanted, was a sense of what to expect at what time during my recovery. Instead I found plenty of people writing about how they still limped years later or otherwise had problems. I did find one very upbeat, positive writer from Hawai’i  who talked about completely recovering over an 18 - 24 month period, which is what my orthopedic surgeon had said to me during the first visit. But I wanted dates, times, milestones – some kind of map for this new and unexpected journey. I never found one, so I am writing one now.


Acute Injury and Surgical Repair


26 Jan 2013: My husband and I decided to go ice-skating for our date night. It seemed both wholesome and romantic. I had visions of us gliding around the ice hand in hand. In reality I was on the ice for less than 5 minutes when I fell, badly, and was unable to stand up again. I don’t recall the actual injury much and I wasn’t in extreme pain afterwards, although I knew I couldn’t stand on my left ankle. My husband helped me hop to the car and off to urgent care we went. I was honestly quite surprised when the doctor told me my ankle was badly broken. The nurse splinted it up for me and they sent me home with crutches, painkillers and a referral to orthopedics for Monday morning. I iced it and went to bed.

28 Jan 2013: My first orthopedic appointment. My ankle was too badly swollen at this point for the doctor to operate, so she set it back in alignment in the office (ouch, ouch, ouch) and splinted it a little more thoroughly and sent me home to elevate and ice for the next week to get the swelling down. I was told not to put any weight on the ankle for at least 6 weeks after surgery and believe me, I had absolutely no desire to do so. My husband and I decided to buy a knee scooter from Amazon (our insurance didn’t cover one, although it covered everything else) because I felt very unsteady on the crutches. I started writing online for something to do while I was stuck on the couch.

31 Jan 2013: The knee scooter arrived! I could now get around our one story apartment relatively easily, which was a huge relief. We taught our two year old daughter not to touch Mommy’s “boo boo foot.”

4 Feb 2013: I had surgery to repair the fracture, which required a screw on the tibia (bone on the inside) of my ankle and a plate and multiple screws across the fibula (bone on the outside, which was cracked clean through and misaligned). My doctor resplinted me after the surgery and sent me home. I had the surgery under general anesthesia which I would not recommend; I was extremely ill afterwards. I had requested an option for local anesthesia and sedation but the anesthesiologist talked me out of it. I should have stuck with my own instincts because I threw up multiple times that evening and felt groggy and out of it for about 48 hours. The surgery itself caused quite a bit more pain than the actual fracture and I needed pain medication every 4 hours for about five days and then about every six hours for another 5 days or so. I did try to do some ear based acupuncture on myself but found that I couldn’t place the needles properly by feel or using  mirror. I noticed that the pain was consistently much worse at night than during the day, which accords with what other people have told me about pain. My mother and brother in law both came to stay with us in the first week after surgery to help my husband as he cared for both a toddler and his invalid wife.

15 Feb 2013: I took my last dose of narcotic pain medication, after this point all I have ever needed was Tylenol.

Early Recovery


22 Feb 2013: I had my post-op follow-up appointment (with a different orthopedic surgeon as mine had the flu) and the heavy splint was removed. I was put in a hard plastic CAM walker (although no walking yet for me!) that I could remove to shower, which was a huge relief. I did still need to sleep in the CAM walker. My leg had all kinds of multicolored bruises all over it, from the injury, the surgery and from the pressure of the splint on my leg. I also still had ink and betadine from the surgery. Bleah. But at least I could wash my leg now!

25 Feb 2013: I returned to work after 4 weeks away, although I took it pretty easy the first week and focused on administrative projects. My coworkers kindly helped me out as I was still unable to bear weight and was getting around on my scooter. My husband and daughter took me to and from work every day because I couldn’t stand alone to get the scooter in and out of the car.

8 Mar 2013: I was able to actually go down to the ED on my scooter and see a patient there, which felt like a huge personal victory. It was amazing to feel that sense of capability and confidence again as I did the work I care so much about. I received a lot of sympathy and condolences from the staff in the ED too, an added perk.

15 Mar 2013: BIG milestone – able to walk again with my left foot in the CAM walker for support and protection. My orthopedic surgeon was pleased with the x-rays and stated everything was in alignment and healing well. So I was able to put weight on my foot for the first time in about 7 weeks, but only in the CAM walker. "No unprotected weight bearing!" said my surgeon. I needed crutches and walking definitely hurt. I had to concentrate on putting my ankle firmly on the ground because I had been focusing on keeping it up and off the ground for the past month and a half. Once I started walking though I made pretty rapid progress, moving rapidly from needing two crutches and going only short distances to taking longer walks to needing only one crutch.

18 Mar 2013: I drove myself to work for the first time since my ankle fracture. My mother had kindly swapped cars with me (my husband and I both drive manual transmission cars but she has an automatic transmission car she let us use) so that I could drive. It was amazingly liberating but I did miss the extra time with my family. I know my husband was relieved.

21 Mar 2013: Off crutches! I was able to walk in the CAM walker without any other supports. It was amazingly freeing to be able to move around and hold things in my hands at the same time. I actually enjoyed helping my husband tidy up our house that evening, moving fairly easily from room to room. My ankle did get tired easily and I often needed Tylenol after a long day, but at this point I had very little pain. The CAM walker had a slightly rounded bottom that rocked with my steps which allowed a fairly normal motion, and I made sure to wear a thick soled shoe on my right foot to keep my leg lengths even.

22 Mar 2013: First visit with physical therapy. At this point it was just stretching and some resistance band strengthening. I was shocked at how stiff my ankle had become and how limited my range of motion was. It was a little frightening, honestly. But it came back fairly quickly over the next 6 weeks and I progressed rapidly through the different strengths of resistance bands. I was very faithful about my physical therapy, doing my exercises at least twice and sometimes three times a day.

25 Mar 2013: Ooops… I took a few steps without the cast. I was getting into the shower and honestly I just forgot. It didn’t hurt although my ankle was terribly stiff. Shhhh… don’t tell on me… I did try very hard throughout this process to respect the limitations set by my doctor.

20 Apr 2013: My husband, daughter and I went for a hike on the Maryland side of Great Falls (an awesome cascade of rapids and waterfalls just west of Washington D.C. – well worth seeing if you are ever in the area). We walked for about 2 miles on the C&O Canal Towpath, which is a fairly level but graveled surface and I did well. I was proud of myself, although I attracted more attention than I wanted due to the CAM walker.

Late Recovery


26 Apr 2013: My third post-op visit and I am cleared to walk without the CAM walker! Still no running or jumping and I did need to use a supportive lace up brace recommended by my physical therapist. My physical therapy moved to standing single leg raises, standing calf stretches and balance exercises. I couldn’t balance on my left ankle at all (not even for 1-2 seconds) when I first came out of the CAM walker. My ankle was also very stiff and I actually was limping more and having more pain than I had a week previous.

3 May 2013: Even more physical therapy! I started doing a cross-over walk called cariola, lateral lunges, marching on an unstable surface, more single leg raises and more balance exercises. My exercise pattern shifted to a single longer period once a day, but I continued to be faithful about doing the exercises and again I saw pretty rapid improvement.

5 May 2013: I drove a manual transmission car (my husband’s) for the first time since my fracture. No problems.

7 May 2013: I was able to do yoga for the first time since my fracture. I kept it simple with a few rounds of sun salutations and moon salutations. It felt really, really good to move again.

10 May 2013: We drove down to my mom’s house to switch cars back.

12 May 2013: I stopped needing the lace up brace and was able to get around fine without it, although I still tired easily, had a limp, and experienced more pain than I had experienced in the CAM walker. The pain was not severe but did require Tylenol at times. At times I would get a deep pain in my left leg that meant I needed to stop and rest for a while.

13 May 2013: I was able to drive my own car to work again, which felt great.

16-24 May 2013: We travelled to San Francisco for work related conferences and stayed in a two story apartment. I was able to manage the stairs although I did hold on to the railing carefully, and when I was tired I stepped down without alternating feet, so that my good leg did all the bending and weight supporting. This was a very active trip, since I was walking to public transit each morning and then walking from public transit to the conference sites and then walking around the conferences. Plus doing some fun touristy things in the evenings, including an extended walk on the beach. All in all it went very well although I did have pain at times and I did limp more during the trip due to the increased activity. I noticed that carrying my toddler (piggyback is her preferred method) was a pretty sure way to ensure that my ankle would hurt, which makes sense, since she adds about 30 pounds of weight.

28 May 2013: I was able to balance on my left ankle for 30 seconds during physical therapy! My therapist moved me up to more challenging balance exercises including standing on my left leg while tapping targets with my right toes and throwing and catching a ball while standing on my left leg.

7 June 2013: Fourth and final orthopedics visit. My surgeon said she couldn’t even see the fracture lines and that I should have the hardware in for at least a year, but that if bothered me after a year she would take it out. I told her that it wasn’t bothering me yet and that no offense but I wasn’t eager to have more surgery. She laughed and told me I was released from all restrictions although she cautioned me to be reasonable and careful in returning to running. My physical therapist was more directive, telling me to practice walking quickly before I tried running and to start running in short intervals (15-30 seconds) when I did start.

13 June 2013: Today I was able to jog for a few short intervals (probably 15 seconds, about 50 steps) for a few times during my walk. I’m trying to walk 30-40 minutes daily, and although I can’t get walk faster than 3.3 mph right now without pain the jogging actually didn’t bother me at all. I can walk for about 2 miles at a stretch. I rarely have any pain in my ankle and when I do usually a few minutes of rest will take care of it. The screws in my ankle are not painful although I do feel them if I sit cross legged on a hard surface. My ankle still gets stiff especially after I’ve been sitting for a while. I don’t have full range of motion compared to the other ankle but I am not functionally limited. I can do stairs with alternating legs although I do hold on to the railing for balance. I expect to be released from physical therapy at my appointment next week. At this point, almost 19 weeks after surgery and 20 weeks after my ice skating accident, I feel that I am about 95% recovered and I am confident that I will continue to improve over the next few months. I am looking forward to a busy, active summer including biking, walking, jogging, and moving to a new house.

As I have written in other places, I think that the key factors in my recovery were: 1) Following my doctor’s and physical therapist’s instructions faithfully at all times 2) Basic good health and high activity level before my accident and 3) prayers and loving support from family and friends. I also made an effort to increase my protein intake during the healing period and to take a good multivitamin, a Vit D supplement (on instruction from my primary care doctor), an omega-3 capsule and a calcium supplement while my bones were mending.

So there you have it. If you are unfortunate enough to share this injury with me, I hope this timeline will help and encourage you. Contrary to some of the bleaker reports you might read on the internet, I have made a good, thorough and rapid recovery. You can too.

I wrote another entry on 27 Jan 2014, one year post-injury. You can find it here : One Year Update

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with this trimalleolar ankle fracture. I am a 32 yr old guy from India, and suffered my trimal fracture in the right leg on Feb 22, 2013. I slipped playing badminton (indoor court). I underwent ORIF next day, but only 2 screws were put on the tibia inside (medial malleolus), while the spiral fibula fracture and the third fracture in posterior tibia were left to heal on their own. I was in a cast for 8 weeks, followed by 3 weeks with a walker, and 3 weeks with a stick. For the last 2 weeks, I have been doing physiotherapy and started walking without support. My ROM is almost fine, except for limited dorsiflexion on my injured leg. Now, at over 16 weeks post surgery, I have just started walking 30 minutes (not brisk but medium pace), can climb stairs comfortably, but need railing support while coming down (alternating leg). There is some pain still while walking and a slight limp, but it is getting better bit by bit. My physiotherapy is coming to any end (tomorrow possibly) but I will continue with my exercises. I am hopeful that by the end of 18 weeks, I will be able to walk at brisk pace without any ankle pain/strain. Not planning to jog/run until the ankle pain/strain subsides completely while walking at brisk pace. Don't want to rush things/risk reinjury. But things are looking much more positive now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with trimalleolar ankle fracture. I am a 67 yr old gal from Florida, and suffered my right ankle fracture on May 10,2013. I was struck by a pick up truck while I was cycling in the early morning hours. I underwent ORIF a week later, 2 weeks following I had to go back in for a debridement due to an infection and have a PICC Line for IV antibiotics put in my left arm. Two weeks following that surgery I was back in on July 12th for another surgery to remove the hardware. I'm continuing on the IV antibiotics and have added yet another oral antibiotic. I still have sutures and am attending to them and a splint to protect the ankle and non weight bearing of course. I am at 10 1/2 weeks and feel like a real couch potatoe going from a very active lifestyle to sitting and resting. The infection has slowed the healing process to a snails pace and continues to persist even today. I'm looking forward to getting better and returning to just walking what a pleasure that will be. I am doing everything the doctor says to do and of course surfing the net for any support and encouragement. Again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having issues with your fiancee could be so disturbing especially when she is the one you have loved all your life and she has been the reason you are still alive. I started having issues with my fiancee for some months didn't know what the problem was or what was going on not until i discovered that another guy was involved i didn't know what to do i was confused, did all i could but nothing was happening for me until i saw an article of one great spell caster, who i told everything i was going through at that time and he told me not to panic for everything will be okay, that if truly we were meant to be that she is going to come back. I did everything he told me to do and today we are back together married with two beautiful kids i cant thank this man enough Dr Raymond. Whats App> +2348118116281  Email> swiftspellcast@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this diary of recovery. It has put a positive spin on my injury and even though I have just had the ORIF, I look forward o reaching the first milestone in 2 weeks time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your really positive story - I sustained trimalleolar fracture in April this year - ORUA - plate and screws - 6 weeks in cast - physiotherapy massage weekly - exercises 5 times a day - Now 15 weeks post injury swimming, cross trainer, walk 3 miles with walking poles, driving manual car. So many desperately sad reports on the net that I feel so very lucky to have achieved near normality in 15 weeks - advice to all in similar situation is EXERCISE OVER EVERYTHING ELSE!Eat healthily and rest when ankle swells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your positive story. I'm encouraged by your timeline and will likely refer to it as I continue to recover from a trimalleolar right ankle fracture. On January 4, 2019 I slipped on black ice, walking my dog. I'm a 58 year old very active female. I started therapy one week ago, which has built my confidence and helped me to focus on what I can do. I worked at home for 3 weeks. (Needed the engagement and mental challenge.) Then, when I graduated to a removable light weight cast/brace, I returned to work. I work in a health care setting, so I was able to borrow an electric wheelchair that allowed me to elevate my leg at all times. A few weeks ago I got a knee scooter, which brought me independence and freedom,an productivity at work and at home - I was able to get rid of the wheelchair at work and walker/crutches at home. Since I started therapy, I'm bearing weight in an air boot, walking on cructhes most of the time and only using the scooter for long distances. I have very little ROM in ankle at this time, but I'll follow all physician and therapy guidance, and I'm optomistic that I'll be hiking, walking my dog again and doing yoga soon! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very encouraging to read all these posts. I'm a 70 year old female... I fell over my granddaughters baby gate on June 13th and had trimalleolar surgery on June 17th. I had just opened an alterations shop and was planning on leaving the following week for my annual trip to Canada...need less to say, the trip is off and I'm heartbroken because it's the only window of opportunity I have to be with my boyfriend. Luckily I have a partner in the shop, so I'm able to do some work at home. I'm non weight bearing right now and get around the house in a wheelchair, as I'm not really great with crutches. My daughter got me a scooter which I'm working on. Thx so much for all the positve thoughts, I hope to be back up and moving around better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encourage you to take one day at a time while you realize progress you'll make each week. It's naturally a long road to full recovery.
      I started therapy 3x per week and continued for months until early June.
      I started
      walking my dog again around memorial day. I've been doing light yoga at home for months throughout my recovery but I started 3x a week in a yoga studio about 3 weeks ago. And at that same time I can tell you that I was walking fast and far with my dog, as I did at baseline. So it was 5 months until I regained most of my function. Today, 6 months from surgery,my quality of life is not 100% but my quality of life is excellent. I'm delighted that I can do most of what I did before my skip on black ice. Persavere and don't be discouraged.



      Delete
  7. Having issues with your fiancee could be so disturbing especially when she is the one you have loved all your life and she has been the reason you are still alive. I started having issues with my fiancee for some months didn't know what the problem was or what was going on not until i discovered that another guy was involved i didn't know what to do i was confused, did all i could but nothing was happening for me until i saw an article of one great spell caster, who i told everything i was going through at that time and he told me not to panic for everything will be okay, that if truly we were meant to be that she is going to come back. I did everything he told me to do and today we are back together married with two beautiful kids i cant thank this man enough Dr Raymond. Whats App> +2348118116281  Email> swiftspellcast@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a ladycalled peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my name is Linda i want to share my amazing experience with the greatest spell caster Dr irekenagba. my husband was cheating on me and when i found out we had a fight which lead to him filling for a divorce i cried and fell sick when i was searching about love quotes online i saw people talking about him and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info i contacted him and he told me not to worry that after 24hrs he will cancel the divorce and be back to me after i did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back,thank you once again Dr irekenagba you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you contact him on........
    WhatsApp: +2347059630655
    email: doctorirekenagba@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although this is coming late by 7+years, I recently twisted and ended up with trimalleolar fracture resulting in almost 5 fractures overall. Post 6 weeks cast, found that bones have just started healing. Talus fracture is still not filled. I have been asked to do stretch exercises for ankle and limited walk with a walker using 25% wt as in on toes. My feet are swollen and am really worried about delayed bone joining despite have Ca vit D supplements. Looking through your timeline of late recovery gives me a mild assurance that there are people like me too. Thanks for the write up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use eggs. I know we have to go abroad. I was terrified. I didn't know where to go and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended Dr God hands  to me in western Africa  I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country but I well know they have powerful gifts on herbal medicines and I was afraid because of the language barrier. Anyway she convinced me to give a try. She told me that Dr God hands can also cure my prostate cancer which gives me more motivation to give a try to Dr God hands herbal center medicines. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr God hands has reasonable prices which I ordered two four bottles and I drank it as instructed and everything went well. My prostate cancer is gone. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses natural herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. We contacted Dr God hands and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple.  Dr God's hands were so confident and hopeful he projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr God hands herbal Cure . Don’t be afraid and just do it! 
    Dr God hands can cure the following diseases:Sickle Cell,Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s diseaseInsomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,EpilepsyDesmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease,  Doctor God Hands Contact    Email:   doctorgodhands@gmail.com  Or Whats-App Chat : +2349057214220

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this, as a physical therapist that sustained a trimalleolor fracture I do have some knowledge and background on expected time frame. It seems when I look up other people’s personal experiences it can be a lot of doom and gloom. I appreciate your honesty and optimistic attitude.

    ReplyDelete